Search This Blog

Friday, July 1, 2016

How to Nuzlocke

Hey guys! So today I wanted to talk about Pokemon. To be more specific, I wanted to talk about a way to lose the game. Of course, I speak of the Nuzlocke challenge. There is a lot of dispute on what the base rule set is and what clauses are available. I am here to clear it up and tell you how I believe it should be played. The base rules are as follows; If a Pokemon faints it is considered dead, and must be released into the wild; When you are out of Pokemon, you lose and must erase the save file; You can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter in any given area;If you fail to catch that first encounter, you can not try again; You must nickname every Pokemon. Now, there are of course several applicable clauses to this, that add difficulty to the challenge. The duplicate clause, which I always play with, says that you can not catch a Pokemon that you have at any time possessed. If it is your first encounter, it doesn't count as such, and your next encounter can be the functional catch. This rule not only forces you to have a more varied team, but it prevents breeding, and can stop you from getting a catch on certain routes if you already have everything on it. There is the no healing in battle clause, which I use sometimes, and it dictates that you not heal in battle. There is the one use building clause which says that you can only use any given Poke mart or center one time. I don't use that. There is the no running clause, stating you can't run from battle, which I think is more trouble than it's worth. There is the full party clause, which says you must have your party as full as possible(for example, if you have 6 Pokemon, you must have them all in the party, instead of splitting them in some way between your party and PC so that you can have a backup). There is also the defeat all clause which states you must defeat every trainer in an area before moving on. I never really state that I am doing this, but I almost always end up doing it, as I hate unfinished business. There are many more available clauses, and you can make your own, but I feel these are the most important to know. Any clause is optional of course. The final rule of any Nuzlocke is not to chicken out. This challenge is self-enforced, but it is very rewarding to complete. I want to suggest that everyone try it. I find it fun to write a story in conjunction with the challenge about how the team in working out, about their personal fears and triumphs, and about how they cope with the death. A good YouTube series depicting my favorite rule set to most extents as well as having a good story, once you get a few episodes in and he gets used to making the videos, is the Super Carlin Gaming Pokemon Fire Red Nuzlocke Challenge. That is it for me today. See ya and allons-y.

No comments:

Post a Comment